Monday, April 28, 2008

Who's gonna pay attention to your dreams?

Okay, pop quiz: The Cars' unbelievably beautiful "Drive" (from 1984's Heartbeat City) was:

(a) The Cars' highest charting single in the United States, peaking at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart

(b) The song that somehow tricked Czech-born supermodel Paulina Porizkova into thinking she was about to be deported and thus had to marry the very next person that walked into the bowling alley (kind of like what happened to Michelle Pfeiffer in Grease 2: Electric Boogaloo (honest to God I know of this scene only because in the summer of 1983 HBO showed this movie so often that I think they even split the screen four ways and had four simultaneous showings of the movie, with each quadrant of the TV showing a different point in the film))

(c) The song by which I finally danced with one April Rogers--a salty young lass from La Porte who dwarfed me by about a foot--at the spring eighth grade dance in 1988 (I specifically remember my melodramatic eighth grade heart completely anguished over the fact that I would not be the one driving April home--never mind the fact I was 13 (and she had transportation courtesy of her dad))

(d) All of the above.

As you ponder the choices, here is the video to this truly excellent song:

No comments: