Friday, March 14, 2008

Swing batter swing

My buddy Rich and I used to debate the criteria for what made a good at-bat song (the song that plays as a batter in baseball approaches the batter's box), and we never reached a consensus definition. In the end, it was something akin to obscenity: you couldn't define it, but you just knew a good at-bat song when you heard it. In 2004, ESPN Page 3 did the world a great service and published the at-bat song of almost every starting player in the majors. It is definitely worth a read.

Over the years, I've changed my hypothetical personal at-bat song hundreds of times, ranging from agit-rap (Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise") to classic rock (Zeppelin's "Kashmir") to electronica (Moby's "Extreme Ways"). At this moment, though, if I had to choose a song to walk up to the plate to, I'd probably have to go with Mr. Christopher Cross and his 1981 hit, "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)."  Specifically, the chorus:

When you get caught between the moon and New York City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the moon and New York City
the best that you can do
the best that you can do
is fall in love . . . .

I know, you're scratching your head and thinking, "What a lame at-bat song." But BOOM! Look who just hit a walk-off homerun to win the World Series! And now is having his number immediately retired as he rounds the bases! IN YOUR FACE, MR. HEAD SCRATCHER.

No comments: