Saturday, March 22, 2008

I want specifics on the general idea

Today, I rekindled my affection for Built to Spill's "Car" (from There's Nothing Wrong with Love (1994)). I found it again on an old scratched-up mix-CD that had been shoved into the back of my car's glove compartment; driving around with the windows down and the outside temperature at about 75 degrees, I listened to the song three times in a row. There's something oddly affecting about the way Doug Martsch caterwauls the last word of each line ("At best I'll be asleep when you get baaaaack," "I wanna see it nooooooow," "I want specifics on the general ideeeeeaa," etc.). The real Barrett the Cat caterwauls a lot, too, and that is also oddly affecting. The affect is that it makes me want to yell yell yell, kick kick kick, punch punch punch.

No comments: